Monday, May 31, 2010

Week One! An Average Dinner

Mkay, so I'm taking a break from my Law ISU presentation and doing this post on what I made for dinner on Friday Night :D


What You Will Need:
Pork Chops (I'm using extra thick bone in pork chops in case you want to know and I did not marinate them before hand)
A grill
Stuff for a salad:
  • Lettuce (I used a head of iceberg lettuce)
  • Celery
  • Radishes
  • Onion
  • Cucumber
  • Tomato
  • Dressing
  • A Container to store the salad if you don't eat it all

Step 1: Preheat the grill; I'm using a George Forman Lean Mean Grilling Machine (that is it's actual name :D) so I set the timer to preheat the grill at 400 for 7 minutes.



Step 2: Wash your hands! Then set the meat onto the grill; I set the timer to cook for 15 minutes.



Step 3: Re-wash your hands and rise the lettuce. I got the head in half for my salad then diced it up.



Step 4: Rinse the celery and radishes (I think they are the dirtiest vegetables you can get from a store!) before you dice them. Add them to the salad being sure to mix them in well (I use my hands to mix them into the salad)



Step 5: The 15 minutes are over; turn your meat around with tongs so it will cook evenly. Because the chops are so thick, the lid of the grill didn't completely close and as you can see some parts of the meat cooked better than others. Re-set the timer to cook for another 10 minutes or so.



Step 6: Peel and dice the onion, part of the cucumber and the tomato (you don't have to peel the tomato!). Mix the onion into the salad but keep the cucumber and tomato separate; you will use those as a 'garnish' on the plate and if you add them to the salad, they will get mushy.



Step 7: Once the meat is cooked to your liking, put the salad, 'garnishes' and meat onto a plate.



TADAAAAA!!! The dinner is ready to be enjoyed with a salad dressing of your choice!!



Just an interesting tip about the George Forman Lean, Mean Grilling Machine, what I love about it is that it gets rid of that NASTY animal fat that you shouldn't be eating and collects it in a lovely drip pan for your inspection. The grill itself can also be removed from the hot pads to be scrubbed thoroughly or popped into the dishwasher.

Hope you enjoyed reading this; it wasn't a super spectacular recipe... it was more of an average dinner at the Bloom house. The major difference is I cooked it! I will embark on more complicated recipes next but I wanted you to get a feel of what is 'normal' in my house :D

P.S. For anyone who likes Lady Gaga as much as I do, check out the GREAT male acapella version above!

5 comments:

luna pie said...

Yummy!!!

And, hahah, yes, I think they are the dirtiest vegetables of all, except maybe carrots straight out of the ground.

Can I come over for dinner in say about... mmmmm, 7 weeks??? :)

Mary said...

Wow, Becky. You have some lucky parents with that kind of cooking!!

And, yes, 7 weeks....just throwing it out there!!

Can't wait for more recipes and cooking classes with you in the weeks to come.

Charlene said...

My darling daughter you do indeed make yummy food. Esp cheese cake & salads. Looking forward to this weeks meal.

Sarah & Mary I look forward to your taste testing visit & I'm posative BB can't wait for a lesson or two on Korean dishes.

Lee-Anne said...

I've come to believe that cooking and sharing a meal with someone is one of the most generous things we can do.

I'm glad you enjoyed cooking for your family and look forward to reading about many more of your cooking experiences!

Anonymous said...

Hi Becky,
Hadn't been by in awhile, and gracious you certainly have been busy.
Loved your yarn display (several bloggings below this one---btw: dying your own wool is both hard and incredibly messy-not to mention stinky---The ideas for your store sound diverse as well as helpful).

Congrats on managing to locate your head (re Math test), grin.

And Kudo's for tackling all the marvels within the kitchen. Looking forward to hearing/seeing all your endeavors. I made a callowflower -n- cheese sufflé as when I was about your age that was rather tasty and not nearly as much work as it sounds. Looking forward to hearing what you discover are your favorites.

Looks like you all did a splendid job on your yard as well.

With school out for the summer, hope you'll have an opportunity to catch up on some f-u-n stuff.

This move sounds like it was exactly what your family needed.
Take good care. Hope you have a dynamite week.

Ms Lu